Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Master of the Bump


Rainy night


loitering at Friends with Beth and Erin.


After the very best tasting dinner at Kitchen de Christo


on to the show. The much anticipated XiuXiu live at the Crunked up Uni-corn.


where I saw the magic happen live at last.


Eccentric instruments, wailing lyrics, discordant sounds, it was incredible and exhausting to watch.


Paper earplugs required. The music was beautifully jarring and threatened to pierce eardrums in all its harsh instrumental screams and cries. (I sound like a such a douche bag music critic right now)


The drummer was a force to be reckoned with.


The tortured soul Jamie Stewart used an autoharp (!) to great effect. With the level of sincerity in Stewart's rasping voice its hard to believe this concert is part of a tour, to be performed over and over on a nightly basis. The music felt emotionally raw, fresh off the cuff, but the production of it was comfortably smooth.



F.T.W.


Time to dance it all out.


Sweat it out to some Queen and what else? its all a blur.


With a dance partner


in a skirt printed with bountiful baskets of fruit.


Somewhere along the way, in all my animated eurhythmics, my cell phone bounced out of my pocket and ended up in the possession of the DJ. (just when I had become convinced my vest was the most perfectly utilitarian piece of clothing I owned)


Luckily I know Hanyun and she knows everybody. So I got it back.

2 comments:

Ash said...

Xiu Xiu was really kickass, most definitely. That stringed instrument he used for the last song is called an autoharp, though. That instrument MADE that last song. So good.

Jonathan said...

doh - now I sound like a douche bag music critic who doesn't even know anything about music...
thanks for the fyi - will correct!