Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hydrangeas: the Vegan variety


Made my way out to Avondale Estates


to pay a visit to my friend Janna and her studio.


which might be the quirkiest alterations shop I've had the pleasure of visiting.


If you happen to be a bride-to-be who needs a complicated wedding dress altered, completely taken apart and put back together, or simply one designed from scratch

this is the lady to see about it.


And her one-woman workshop is always turning out cool detailed pieces (even I think so and I don't like weddings).


Janna is currently making flower girl dresses for a fancy wedding Oprah is rumored to be attending


that are covered in handmade fabric flowers


that are really detailed and too small for my camera to actually focus on.


like these Hydrangeas. Everything is made from vegan friendly materials like Peace Silks (no harm done to the silk worm) and some type of Brazilian nut that is used as a replacement for ivory so the elephants live and the money earning trees aren't torn down in Brazil to make way for more McD's cattle pastures.


Very good things are happening here. Makes me feel slightly better about the world.... I hear Janna is even toying now with organic fabric dyes.

Check out more of Janna Dudley's work here.

No comments: